Professional internships at Northwest Nazarene University are available to current and recent graduates. Various professional enterprises at NNU provide real-life experiences, on the job training, and personal growth for students as an extension of their education. These internships are directed to the student's career goals. All internships are for credit, but may also have a paid stipend depending on the duties and the department.
All applicants must provide a complete packet (to the contact person identified in the posting) to be considered for any internship which includes:
- Complete resume
- Personal statement of career goals
- Current transcripts (unofficial unless official is requested)
- Minimum of two references who can be contacted
Following the completion of the internship the student must complete an evaluation of the internship.
Youth Specialist - Middleton
As a Youth Specialist, you will provide direct supervision to youth in the Idaho Youth Ranch programs. Your responsibility is to build better relationships between peers, and the families associated with them by following Idaho Youth Ranch guidelines and SAP’s. Your goal is to be a positive role model, so that youth who graduate from this program are empowered with personal coping skills. This is a part time position, less than 30 hours per week.
- Helps with resident orientation
- Supports supervisor by asking for help or guidance when needed, by mentoring new employees, and by actively participating in quality improvement efforts
- Implements the treatment strategies on a regular basis and as directed
- Supports the work of the Youth Specialist III with youth who may have needs in addition to those addressed through regular programming (e.g., a child who is in the “transition phase” of their treatment and need to develop independent living skills)
- Ensures application of identified program philosophy practices in their work with youth residents
- Aware of the reintegration plans of each individual child in their program and reinforces the plan through regular interaction with each child
- Carries out duties and tasks in accordance with the program’s standards and procedures (SAPs)
- Works side by side with youth to teach and instruct them in the proper ways of cleaning and maintaining their living environment and possessions.
- Works with team members and residents to manage the upkeep of their facility, equipment and other assets • Attends and actively participates in weekly team meetings
- Ensures children are supervised in accordance with program SAPs
- Proactive with behavioral management techniques to ensure the avoidance or reduction of crisis situations
- Under the direction of the YSS mentors new employees on their job responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- 1 year experience in related field preferred
- Must hold current certifications in first aid, Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), physical/non-physical crisis intervention, or complete the requirements for certification within 90 days of hire
- Must have a valid, state-issued driver’s license or obtain one within 15 days of hire, as a condition of continued employment
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Completed phase two training requirements
- You’ve got passion.
- You want to make a difference and have a soft spot for kids.
- You get excited about the possibility of having a real impact and working closely with a committed team to create something transformative.
- You see what’s possible and don’t let obstacles deter you.
- You like to get focused on a vision and work diligently to achieve it.
- Your passion is evident in your interactions.
- You like to have fun.
- You like a challenge and enjoy a dynamic environment.
- You’re okay with being the go-to person for customer service problems, challenges and opportunities.
- You like to be the master of your environment and learn a system inside and out so you can make the most of your experience.
- You’re a pro. You have a high personal standard of excellence, a strong work ethic and commitment to mission.
- You’re looking for a new opportunity to leverage and grow your skills, to make a unique contribution to a team effort – to stretch your knowledge, skills and character.
- You have an innate ability to recognize shifting priorities and adjust accordingly.
- You understand the power of relationships, the value of persistence, the reward of professionalism, the fun of discovery and the inevitability of change.
- You’re respected by your peers and can get results where others struggle. Integrity isn’t something you have, it’s who you are.
- Opens: 05/02/2016
- Closes: 06/01/2016
- Rate of Pay: 13.80
- Hours/Days: varies
- Type of position: Internships (On Campus)
- How to apply: To apply: send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Employer Name: Idaho Youth Ranch
- Employer Phone:
- Employer Mailing Address:
- Employer Contact: Bryant Ridgley
- Email Address: